Beacon School Parent Association General Meeting
October 17, 2017, 6:00pm / Library
A. Meet and Greet Parents in your grade.
- Tables were set up by grade. Parents had the opportunity to connect. Worked exceptionally well.
- Welcome and Introductions: Bonnie Scarborough, PA Co-President
B. PA Business
- June 2017 and September 2017 Approval of Minutes. Approved.
- Expedited election of additional board members. Slate identified and Proposed. Approved, no opposition.
C. News from Grade Reps and Neighborhood Reps
- 9th Grade Potluck 10/26/17. Exceptional Evening, even though switched to Library at last minute due to SNAFU with cafeteria rental. Parents outdid themselves with fantastic ethnic dishes and camaraderie. Two Speakers: Elysha Weissglass and Maylin Fernandez re: Freshmen stuff.
- 10th Grade Potluck 10/25/17. Not too dreary assortment of cheese crackers, fruit bowls and crudités. Obviously not their first rodeo. Speaker was Kevin Jacobson, history teacher and co-director of the Sophomore grade’s Community Service Advisory class requirement. Outlined optimal service positions (non-religious or selective group), such as council person’s offices, soup kitchens, annual community events such as fun runs or medical awareness fitness efforts, etc. Sophs cannot use summer work to meet 50 hour requirement, and must create resume to submit to organization, must secure formal retention letter, and must have supervisor tracking of hours served.
- 10th Grade Reps bought up discussion about Beacon clubs: Parents want to see a master list of clubs available to students. Thoughts that the PA could get this posted to the website. Inconsistent information with regards to Sports teams. Concern for safety of the kids for some of the sports activities. Parents unaware of where the meets or game are. Looking for a parent coordinator to facilitate this information. Disseminating information of game and meet whereabouts would lead to more school spirit.
- 11th Grade Reps had nothing to report.
- 12th Grade Reps reported STRESS (college applications). 98% of Beacon Seniors going to college. Concern expressed that with increased class size (405 incoming Freshmen in 2017) that College Office will be stretched even more that it is now.
D. PA Budget Discussion
- Needed to approve the PA Budget – budget approved with modifications (see #3).
- “How does the PA come up with the budget?” What are the current PA expenses?.
- Discussion of supplying paper by the pallet to the faculty. Approved $1500 expense out of budget for this item (to be added to modified budget).
- Discussed Principals Discretionary Fund (paying procession, extra staff, paying for part time AP (Mitchell), specific rules on what the DOE does and does not allow PA to pay
- $ 35,000 cost to Beacon to interview 8th graders.
- Students with IEP – currently 11% (Doe looking to increase to 16%). Services for IEP students mandated by DOE.
- Fundraising ideas: Virtual auction through PA website via giving tree.
- Beacon 25th Anniversary in 2018 – need parent volunteers.
- Establishment of Alumni Association/ Foundation – need parent volunteers. Looking to get alums together as well as getting them to donate
- STEM/ Academics Discussion – making sure that the academics are covered as well as the arts.
- November 14th – PA General Meeting 6 – 7:30pm
- December 19th – PA General Meeting 6 – 7:30pm
- Sign In Sheet passed around
- Meeting Adjourned
October 2017 Beacon Parent Association General Meeting minutes prepared by
Co-Recording Secretary Tracy Hattem, some detail added by Co-President Daniel Power
What a fantastic turnout! Principal Lacey, AP William Stroud, PC Erdene Greene, B’DAT coordinator and theater teacher Jo Ann Cimato, music teacher Brian Leteicq, and history teacher Bob Van Pelt all gave compelling testimonials to what our Parent Association’s support means for our kids and the clubs, activities, sports, and supplies it makes possible. If you haven’t already, please DONATE HERE. We’re 14% there, so let’s put it on!
Minutes for the September 13 meeting can be found here.
Support Beacon High, Principal Lacey, and all the wonderful teachers and programs this amazing school offers!
Your vital contributions to the Beacon Parent Association are used to underwrite 50+ after school clubs, sports teams, tournament trips, equipment, supplies and the backbone of it all, teachers! Yes, teachers are paid to teach and lead our kids in these programs. They aren’t cheap, but they are worth every penny. The Beacon PA also pays for ongoing class art, music, drama, and science supplies, technology, class trips, materials, and many curriculum enhancements our valued teachers need to do the amazing work they do.
We’re out of the starting gate this 2017-2018 school year with an incredible 14% target reached on our very first PA meeting night! Thanks all for a tremendous turnout. WE NEED TO KEEP POURING IT ON.
Your generous donation goes to:
- Award-winning sports teams: field and umpire fees, equipment, travel expenses, and coaches for non-PSAL teams;
- Extraordinary arts instruction and extracurriculars: guest artist teachers, equipment, performance space rentals, music and performance licenses, B’DAT drama, school musicals, choir, art, dance, and photography supplies;
- Teacher stipends: modest $150 grants to every classroom teacher;
- Dedicated college guidance: Naviance (transcript transmission) service, conferences, guest lectures, and workshops;
- Tremendous clubs catering to every student’s passion: Model UN, Beacon Ink, Debate, Girls Who Code, Engineering, Math, Writer’s Workshop, BeMEDS, Yarns & Crafts are but a few—new ones pop up every semester!
So take a moment now and donate online now. Let’s make 2017-2018 the. Best. EVER.
Ways to contribute to the Beacon PA
–> Donate online now!
–> Send a check to the Beacon School Parent Association, and send to:
Treasurer / Beacon School PA / 522 West 44th Street / New York, NY 10036
Contributing Employer matching grants read more…
Contributing by hosting a house party
Contributing by chairing and/or working at a fundraising event
Contributing items for the Beacon PA Auction
CONTACT the Beacon PA for more information: email@example.com
It’s so easy…
Setting up for the first time
What if I already have a charity setup?
What do I do the next time I want to shop?
How do I make sure any teacher wish-list items I purchase get credited to Beacon?
Help is always needed for the many events that support our kids and our school. Want to work the auction, help sell Beacon Wear, or get involved with events or fundraisers? Please let us know at volunteer.coordinator@
Not sure how you want to help? That’s fine too. Get in touch and we will find you the perfect place!