Parent Leadership at Beacon
Beacon School is fortunate to have an active parent body. The PA is led on behalf of all parents by an annually elected Executive Board, which organizes community building and fundraising activities throughout the year. Additionally, parents are elected annually to positions on the School Leadership Team. Beacon School PA invites any interested parents to run for these leadership positions at Beacon School.
The Beacon School PA holds its annual elections every May or June for terms that run from July 1 – June 30. All Beacon Parents are eligible to run for any position.
You may find the A660 Chancellor’s Regulations governing PTA/PAs here.
Co-Presidents: • Lisa Ceizyk • Lisa Shatz firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Vice Presidents: • Abi Fenelon • Windell Williams • Marco Battistella
Treasurer: • Jacqueline Deval email@example.com
Co-Assistant Treasurers: • Eli Hattem • Karin Barrett
Co-Secretaries: • Jennifer Economou • Marta Quinones-McCarthy
Committee Chairs 2018-2019
Community Relations: • Kristine Gregorek
Cultural Diversity: • Lara Sheikh • Dawan Julien
Fundraising: • Pam Paddock • Debbie Collins
Hospitality: • Debbie Fuchs • Beth Pagan
Merchandise: • Tali Mermelstein • Jeff Rosenblum
School Leadership Team 2017-2018
Michelle Lin Gutierrez • Inci Ulgur • Jonathan Spear • Lisa Maller • Samilia Gharty-Sam
Duties of Officers of the Beacon School Parent Association
- To be eligible for office, a candidate must:
(a) be a member of the Association;
(b) have attended at least one general membership meeting during the current school year;
(c) have a child who is or will be a student at The Beacon School during the candidate’s term of office.
- President. The President (or either Co-President) shall preside at all membership and Executive Board meetings of the Association and shall serve as an ex-officio member of all committees, except the Nominating Committee. The President (or Co-Presidents) shall be designated as one of the signatories on the Association’s bank/investment accounts.
- Vice President. The Vice President shall assist the President and shall assume the duties of President in the absence or at the request of the President. The Vice President shall be responsible for the preparation and distribution of all meeting notices and all Association correspondence; for recording the mail received by the Association; and for the preparation of any correspondence from the Association. No correspondence purporting to represent the Association may be written on the letterhead of the Association or sent unless it has been approved by the President or the Executive Board and signed by the President and/or the Vice President. The Vice President shall receive a copy of and review all Association bank statements.
- Treasurer. The treasurer shall be responsible for management of the Association’s finances, including the maintenance of the Association’s financial books, records, checking, savings, and investment accounts; the deposit of Association money into the Association’s accounts; the maintenance of all deposit slips with appropriate identification of the sources of funds and a regularly updated record of income and expenditures. The Treasurer shall be one of the designated signatories on Association checks. The Treasurer shall prepare and present financial reports at all Association meetings, including the Annual Financial Report, which shall be presented at the October meeting. In addition, the Treasurer shall be responsible for insuring that all required filings, including federal, state and local income tax returns, are timely filed.
- Recording Secretary. The Recording Secretary shall maintain the official records of the Association, including the minutes of all Membership and Executive Board meetings, notices, agendas, sign-in sheets, and materials distributed at such meetings. The Recording Secretary shall prepare the minutes of each Association membership and Executive Board meeting in time for review and approval at the next appropriate meeting, and shall make the minutes available, upon request, to any member of the Association. The Recording Secretary shall maintain custody of the books and reports of the Association, including the bylaws and all amendments to the bylaws, government filings, minutes, reports (including Annual Financial Reports), and shall ensure that the Association’s books and records are kept in good order.
School Leadership Team. The School Leadership team meets monthly. Parents serve for one year and the balance of parents and school staff must be equal. The elections for SLT members are held in June following the PA election.