The meeting was called to order at 6:03 by Co-President Jean Chen-Villalba
Beacon Auction is Tuesday May 17
The new Dress Code was discussed:
- Can this issue lead to a forum of community building and discussion between the school and the families?
- Parents will be speaking with the administration over this issue and other areas of concern
- Parents want to give everyone a chance to be heard – parents, students, and teachers
- Parents hope to reach a consensus reflecting multiple points of view
- Parents hope to model this approach of consensus building for students
Speaker: Nancy Jo Sales
Author of American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers
Dress Codes are a huge issue for teen girls
Issues regarding girls and social media use are a global problem
- Does technology and social media bring us closer?
- Sales believes it pulls us apart
- Extremely high level of sexual harassment of teens on social media
- Cyber bullying has become so “normalized” to teens
- Teens tolerate a great deal on screen that would not be said face to face
- Easy to be inappropriate sexually from behind a screen
- There are no boundaries, no rules, and little recourse or discipline for bad behavior on social media
What is the answer to these problems?
- Talk to your teens
- Support and guide your teens
Porn – huge impact on teens
- Readily available on social media
- Parents are talking and organizing about this issue
- Not a healthy introduction to sexuality
Sexualization of teens
- Treated as sex objects
- Damaging to young girls, disruptive to learning
- Body positivity – the opposite of sexualization – healthy, natural attitude
Where does sexualization come from?
- Video Games
Kik – anonymous messaging system – very dangerous
To what degree should you be monitoring your child’s phone?
- Follow your instincts as a parent as to how to restrict their use of social media
Can’t abandon social media completely – just need to learn to work with it, control it, use it for good
Social media is not really social – you are not really communicating and not really connecting
Screen time can cut down on our ability to empathize, feel emotions, and communicate
Meeting was concluded at 7:20
Submitted by Susanne Fischer, Recording Secretary