The meeting was called to order at 6:15 by PA co-presidents Patricia Roberts, Lettitia Clarke, and Jean Chen-Villalba.
- No funding gap this year but needs are great for new school.
- Patricia appealed to parents for donations to start off the year.
- Goal this year is high parent participation rate so that we can apply for grants.
- Any donation amount is welcome.
The 2015-16 PA Executive Board was introduced.
Many ways to contribute to the school – no amount of time is too small.
Patricia thanked Principal Lacey for her hard work in opening the new school.
Principal Lacey welcomed the parent body:
- Discussed the input that DOE allowed her and the staff to have in helping to plan the school.
- Healthy food being served in the new cafeteria
- 500 seats in the cafeteria – she wants everyone to stay in and eat as a community
- Juniors and seniors will be allowed to go out to lunch on Fridays on a trial basis
Erdene Greene – New Parent Coordinator was introduced
Welcomed the parents
Kim Armour – Treasurer
- Gave financial status update
- PA funds many clubs at Beacon
- Very successful fundraising year last year, especially the Spring Gala
- $200,000 in reserve at end of last year
- Plan to raise $360,000 this year – same as last year
- Teachers submitted funding requests last year
- $100,000 in reserve will be used for needs of new school that may arise
- Motion was made to approve the budget – Parent body voted and approved the budget
Sylvia Wehrle – spoke about the Fundraising Committee
Many opportunities to raise money:
- Phonathon – raised $75,000 last year
- Employee Matching programs – should be maximized
- House Parties – raised $8,000 last year
- Donate to PA through the website
- Amazon Wish Lists from teachers
School Leadership Team was explained:
- Election is in October
- Helps implement school’s education policy
- Meets once a month
- Helps Principal Lacey and the needs of the school
Patricia requested that parents sign in on forms being passed around and let the PA know if they have any services they can provide the school or if they wanted to express interest in working on a committee
Beacon Wear – Sales help is needed throughout the year on the last Friday of every month during lunch bands
Executive Board Nominations:
3 new nominees were nominated and approved by the parent body
Tours of the school were conducted at the end of the meeting
The meeting was adjourned at 6:55
Submitted by Susanne Fischer, Recording Secretary